SUMMARY AND KEY SKILLS
Highly experienced Communications Director with 15+ years broad expertise in developing and implementing strategic communication plans with a focus on management and comprehensive press/media relations. Demonstrated ability to bring strategic and tactical communication skills to enable best-in-class communications management for mission-oriented organizations, leaders, and national campaigns. Wide-ranging experience with agencies, diverse businesses, NGOs, charities, and advocacy organizations offers unparalleled insight to tackling tactical and strategic campaigns. Advanced telework experience.
Agency and Advocacy Experience | Extensive High Profile Story Placement
Exceptional Verbal & Written Communication |Persuasive Press Releases, Pitches, & Social Content
Communications Strategy & Messaging Pro | Expert Research & Writing
- Proven track record of securing high level and broad ranging media coverage.
- More than ten years communications telework experience; established home office.
- Mission is to make a measurable impact on the world; experience with healthcare, nonprofit, and military/veteran services.
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrating a collaboratively team-oriented working style while creating and building dynamic long-term relationships.
- Exceptional strategic planning serving diverse organizations and leading teams to implement detailed public relations analytics and reporting, communication plans, and media relations campaigns.
- Experienced in managing accounts, budgeting, billing and account oversight.
Director of Communications/Public Relations – Onsite and Remote
WPMC 1/2005 – Present
- Spearhead hundreds of strategic plans and implement thousands of public relations information campaigns, events and promotional activities. Serve diverse clientele, teams and numerous projects simultaneously.
- Represent and train hundreds of spokespersons for national and international campaigns, and provide communications training for staff, affiliates and members.
- Develop and manage free and paid publicity, specializing in high level and diverse media placement, satellite media tours, op-ed tours and placement, press briefings, etc.
- Organize and distribute internal and external communications.
- Plan and organize hundreds of special events, press conferences and Facebook Live, and on-the-ground and virtual media tours.
- Oversee social media campaigns, online marketing, and websites.
- Write and produce impactful content, including press releases, advertising copy, promotional material, PSAs for television and radio, blogs, books, and videos.
- Expertly advocate for hundreds of world leaders for human and civil rights, spearhead awareness campaigns such as ending Apartheid or reducing the nuclear weapons threat, promoting numerous environmental causes, expanding education, and furthering missions of hundreds of non-profits.
Head of Media and Public Relations – Remote
Classcraft Studios 10/2018 – 1/2020
- Created company’s first ever comprehensive PR/media strategy. Created and implemented innovative programs and projects to increase brand reach nationally and internationally. Secured more than 150 articles while increasing user base by 1 million over one year.
- Raised company awareness through securing high-level interviews with prime media outlets such as USA Today, AP, Washington Post, Newsweek, Education Week, Edsurge, Globe & Daily News, etc. Obtained media outreach exceeding a 60-million-person audience reach numerous times in just the first year.
- Developed first-ever annual campaign in conjunction with National Teachers Appreciation Week, securing top media coverage with 6 million reach, and created opportunities for sales and marketing to expand the brand.
- Researched media markets and tracked media coverage, including top education and feature journalists.
- Collaborated with cross-functional company teams such as Marketing, Engagement, Sales, and Learning.
- Briefed senior leadership on media opportunities and talking points. Trained internal and external spokespersons.
- Wrote press releases and media pitches. Created crisis management plans and communication documents.
ADDITIONAL AND PREVIOUS PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Director of Public Relations – Habitat for Humanity International
- Served as chief spokesperson and travelled internationally to train affiliates in communications and public relations strategy and implementation.
- Developed and executed public awareness campaigns and coordinated global communication initiatives.
- Managed strategic public relations plans, media programs, and special events on a global level.
- Implemented PR strategy for 3,000 affiliates, corporate partners, and organization staff.
- Led Special Events Department including promotion of Jimmy Carter Work Project (building 100 homes in one week)
- Launched the Poverty Village in Georgia, highlighting the international work of Habitat for Humanity and securing a Reuters interview that took the story worldwide creating hundreds of articles worldwide.
Select Community Endeavors
- Co-led City of Annapolis Mayor’s Transition Team for Human Services, Public Safety, Infrastructure.
- Spearheaded fundraising and outreach campaign for Low Income Families Project, raising thousands of dollars in 3 days for urgent need to improve living conditions in low income housing in Maryland.
- Headed PR for international military’s call for the reduction of nuclear weapons, holding a successful press event at the National Press Club in Washington, DC and garnering a front-page Washington Post story and hundreds of media placements worldwide.
Office & Productivity Software: Microsoft Office (MS) (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Mixpanel, Meltwater, Cision
Collaboration Tools: Google Drive / Google Apps (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Calendar), Google Chat, Zoom, GoToMeeting, Dropbox, Slack, Skype, Asana
Bachelor of Science (BS)
James Madison University
Clients and Organizations Served
Leaders – Former CIA Director Admiral Stansfield Turner, U.S. Air Commander General George Lee Butler, Senator Alan Cranston, Carl Sagan, President Kim Dae Jung, President Jimmy Carter, Mandela Family, U.S. Presidential Candidates, author Larry Dossey, Writer/TV Producer/Marvel Comic Book Author Rodney Barns, Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley.
Associations – State of the World Forum – Conceptualize and implement press strategy for keynote leaders at international forum, lead publicist for reducing the threat of nuclear weapons (Mikhail Gorbachev, others), world and business leaders (Oscar Arias, Jane Goodall, Stephen Covey, Sam Keen, Debbie Fields, and others), National Association of Social Workers, National Association of Working Women.
Non-Profit and Educational Organizations – Habitat for Humanity International, Women of Vision and Action, Hollywood Women’s Political Caucus, Greenpeace, NRDC, Adopt-A-Classroom, Suzuki Method of Music, Child Empowerment Network, Institute for Policy Studies, International Center for Development Policy, various human, women’s and civil rights organizations.
Other: Life Coaching for Personal and Professional Development, author of children’s book, “Feeling Loved, A Ted E Bear Story”, created child safety and empowerment children’s books, videos, games and developed workshops to prevent child abuse and promote child empowerment. Created training program for holistic health.